Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post #6: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone - Finished.

Why J.K.?!?!? WHHYYYY!?!?!?

The above is in reference to the fact that every single conflict in the book resolved in the last 8 pages.  The last chapter seriously seemed like she took each conflict in the book and wrote a paragraph or two for resolution.

Now, don't get me wrong; the book was good.  It was worth the time I put into it.  It was highly entertaining, and the lessons/themes were clear and worthwhile.  I suppose the fact that every single conflict resolved at the end isn't such a bad thing given the target audience (younger folks), but as an adult reader, it was a little... "in your face" I suppose.  Too much resolution too fast, and entirely too perfect.  I know I keep coming back to this resolution thing, but it really bothered me... maybe I'm weighing it too much, I don't know.

On the positive side, this is the type of book you can't put down.  Rawling ends every chapter in such a way that the reader can't help but continue reading.  She is definitely adept in keeping the reader on his/her toes.  The twist at the end was great, too.  I didn't expect it in the least, nor did the characters in the novel.  Rawling also touches on imagination, loss of innocence, love, hate, revenge... the list is quite long.  I loved the book (minus the complaints I've made), and I plan to read book 2 in the series, if not the series in its entirety.  Like I said, I'm an adult and I really enjoyed the book, and I think that it offers a great deal to younger readers.  Its highly accessible and entertaining, which makes it a great suggestion to reluctant readers.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, do you remember how you felt reading Laurie Halse Anderson's work? It was either you or Anthony or maybe both who were really dismissive of her endings--that sort of super-charged climax followed by a whisper of resolution? Rowling may have a similar technique here, and either her readers were so engaged in the story that they forgive her for it, or it ends up working well. I would say that your sensibilities trained as they are on complicated post-modern literature might find this tedious, but it's also something that changes throughout the series (kind of). As Harry ages, his development and need for closure sort of changes too. But, see what you think as you continue reading. Yes, as a text for reluctant readers by the way except that they're so darned big that they can be a little daunting. I'd start them on a smaller success and then move onto this one.

    ReplyDelete